Everything You Need to Know When Purchasing an Electronic Meat Thermometer
Everyone needs a meat thermometer in their kitchen, whether you are a professional cook or an amateur. As its name suggests a meat thermometer is an essential tool that can help measure the temperature of the meat when roasting, grilling, or any other cooking process. There are a few common types of meat thermometers including electronic meat thermometers, wireless probe thermometers, and infrared thermometers.
The electronic or digital thermometer is the most popular type of meat thermometer. It usually is available in different models and consists of top-of-the-line features such as slow-working dials and digital displays. The digital temp tools are one of the most reliable and effective tools that are sure to keep too much hassle in your kitchen.
In this guide, we will be discussing electronic food thermometers and everything you need to know about them. So, if you are looking for the perfect steak, then read on.
For starters, an electronic meat thermometer is the only sure-fire way for you to find out if your meat is properly cooked. It lets you know when the meat is safe to consume, since undercooked food can cause illnesses. Besides, it also allows you to cook your meal just the way you like it. So, by using the best infrared meat thermometer, you can never go wrong with your barbecues.
While you may have the keen eye to spot a properly-cooked meat, a meat thermometer will tell you for sure if it is undercooked, overcooked, or perfectly roasted.
Advantages of Using an Electronic Meat Thermometer
Electronic meat thermometers are equipped with helpful features that make them far better than analog thermometers. The only disadvantage they might have been that they are not oven-safe and can be a little more expensive than the other types. But other than that, some pros for using an electronic meat thermometer include:
- They are easy to read. Digital food thermometers come with larger displays, which make them easier and faster to read the temperature of your food.
- They include several features. Electronic meat thermometers have a couple of features such as an alarm, bluetooth, and backlight to make your grilling faster and easier. We will cover more on the features later in this guide.
- Super-fast and accurate readings. Thanks to their top-of-the-line technology, this type of meat thermometer offers more accurate readings than the analog ones.
How to Use a Digital Food Thermometer?
Using an electronic thermometer is quite straightforward. You only need to put the probe in the meat and allow it to read the temperature for a few seconds. To ensure you use the device correctly, check out these tips below that will save your time and effort:
- Test the thermometer: When you have purchased your new remote thermometer, you might get excited about using it right away. However, it is essential to test it first before anything else. You can do so by putting the thermometer in ice or boiling water.
- Know where to poke: Make sure to insert the probe into the meat to get accurate readings. Do not just poke it and remove the thermometer before getting the readings.
- Clean the thermometer after use: Since you will be using it with a variety of uncooked foods, then it is obvious why you need to clean it after every use. If you are afraid of cross-contamination, then the best way is to clean the thermometer after every cooking session. Clean the probe and the stem of your thermometer after each use. But do not immerse the entire device in water even if it is waterproof just to be on the safer side.
Features of an Electronic Meat Thermometer
All types of meat thermometers come with exceptional features that make them stand out from the rest. Electronic meat thermometers are more modern, which means they come with latest technology to improve your work in the kitchen. Even so, it is worth noting that various models come with different features. However, some of the common features you can find in electronic meat thermometers include:
- Probe: This can be short or long depending on the model of the thermometer. Longer probes can be up to 5 inches long and are best for grilling big and thinner pieces of meat. That can include a turkey, flank steak, or a brisket. Some models also come with rotating probes, which can reach different angles.
- Sharp Display: Electronic meat thermometers have large screens that display the temperature digits easily from any angle. Thus, they are ideal for cooking meat in the day and even night-time.
- Backlight Display: Another great advantage of using digital food thermometer is that they also include a backlight motion-sensing display. This automatically senses the condition of the room and lights up the screen whenever you are in dim or dark room. So, you will never miss out on the temperature readings when darkness comes.
- Waterproof: Moreover, these remote thermometers can be waterproof and can withstand spills or messes in the kitchen.
- Motion Sensor: The thermometer will detect if it is upside down and rotate the display readings in that angle accordingly.
- Rechargeable Battery: You will not have to worry about replacing the battery in the thermometers. Most digital models come with built-in batteries and a plug for charging whenever necessary.
Top Selling Electronic Meat Thermometers
When considering buying an electronic meat thermometer, then it is a wise idea to go for the models that are tested and approved by professionals.
- Chefs Temp Pocket Pro
This thermocouple meat thermometer is one of the best in the market. It comes with a built-in lithium battery that is rechargeable by a Type-C charger that allows super-fast charging. The ChefsTemp pocket pro includes top-quality thermocouple technology that makes sure you get highly accurate temperature readings. Its thin probe easily pierces through any kind of meat including the toughest foods and gives an accurate reading in 1 second.
2. ChefsTemp Finaltouch X10 Instant Read Thermometer
The Finaltouch X10 meat thermometer includes advanced technology to produce the most accurate temperature in 1 second. It has a 270-degree rotation probe and an auto-rotating display that can detect motion and turn the display when upside down. Additionally, this instant read thermometer is waterproof and has an intelligent backlight that wakes up when in dark conditions. The magnetic backing allows the tool to stick on any metal surface.
This article covers some of the most important things you need to know about instant read thermometers or digital thermometers. Make sure always follow the instructions that come with the thermometer to achieve the best results. Also, ensure that you go for the brands that are popular and top-quality.
Discover more recipes and learn kitchen tricks by joining our cooking family on Facebook.
Shop now for products used in this post:
You may also like: